Hair by Amy

Hair by Amy
Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hair stylist you like.

Monday, March 5, 2012

20 Hairdresser Secrets

Yep! Here it is! What everyone should know before their next salon appointment:


#1. I work super hard to make you happy and I want you to LOVE it. After you leave my salon, I’ll worry about what you think. If you feel like calling to tell me how happy you are with my work, you will most definitely make my day.

#2. My work takes time. If you are in a rush, schedule your time differently. You can't rush art and I want you to look good!

#3. If you want to buy your hair color at a drug store/grocery store/department store and do your own hair, you can live with the consequences. If it works for you, fine. But if for some reason it ends badly and I have to fix it, Its gonnna end up costing you a whole lot more than you ever expected. (Seriously, corrective colors will cost you AT LEAST $150.)

#4. PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS SOLD OUTSIDE OF SALONS COULD BE TAMPERED WITH! I can not stress this enough! These products are diverted. Which means they are sold illegally. They could be contaminated, old, or not even what the bottle says it is. In some studies they found as much bacteria as feces in a bottle of shampoo. EW!

#5. Putting too much product in your hair will almost always kill a look. The market has every possible product to make thin hair thick, dull hair shiny, and curly hair straight. But more is not more. It can weigh it down or make it look greasy or crunchy.

#6. I need to charge you for my time. No matter what you’re having done. I am a trained professional. I know it can get expensive, but my time is worth your money and time! I promise.

#7. Come at least five minutes early. If you're running late, it cuts into my time with my next client. Please call ahead so i can call my next client and let them know I'm a little behind.

#8. A trim is not "just" a trim. It requires my expertise, skill, knowledge, and time. It will cost you the same as a "regular" haircut because a haircut is a haircut. Doesn't matter if its half an inch or ten inches.

#9. SIT STILL! Whether you are in the shampoo bowl or my chair, PLEASE, i beg you sit still! It makes it very difficult for me to cut a straight line if you keep moving. Oh, and if you are in the shampoo chair, keep your hands out of the bowl. I know there is still color/shampoo under your neck, I haven't gotten that far yet.

#10. Please don't tell me how to do my job. I am the professional and I know exactly what I am doing. Trust me, I've only been doing this for about five years.

#11. Be honest! The best thing you can do is be honest. If you colored or cut your own hair, just tell me! I won't judge you. Certain chemicals in box color or henna can react badly with the color we use in salons. If you don't tell me they are in your hair, the color could come out wrong or it could severely damage it.

#12. I’m pushing my salon’s products because they’re better for your hair and they will help you maintain your new color or style, not to make money.

#13. If you like my work, please tell your family and friends! Referrals and word of mouth are a hairdressers best advertising tools.

#14. If you can't make it to your appointment, please call at least twenty-four hours ahead of time. If something has come up the day of your appointment please call as soon as possible. It's not fair to me if you don't show up. That's my time and money wasted.

#15. Explain to me exactly what you want the best way you can. I'm not a mind reader and I want us to be on the same page.

#16. Bring pictures! If you find a picture of a style or a color you like, bring it in. My idea of caramel colored highlights may be different than yours.

#17. Please do not bring your kids to the salon with you if you are going to be there for hours. They get bored and there are lots of new things to look at and touch. I don't have time to keep checking up on your kid. I'm your hairdresser not your babysitter.

#18. If you like to come in at a certain day or time, book ahead. I can't guarantee that spot will be open in six weeks. Especially if you call the day you want it done.

#19. If there is something about your cut or color that you don't like, please come back to see me as soon as possible. Don't go around saying how much you hate your hair. Don't feel bad for coming back either. I want you to love your hair so if you aren't completely satisfied don't hesitate to come back.

#20. Please watch your language and what you share with your stylist. This is a business and we try our hardest to keep it a professional environment. No one wants to hear the f-bomb repeatedly or what you did with your boyfriend at that party last weekend. Besides, you never know who is in the chair next to you or who you will offend.

No comments:

Post a Comment